Make the AFP DC Chapter YOUR Chapter! As one of the largest and most active Association of Fundraising Professionals chapters, AFP DC is famous for its energy and enthusiasm here in the nation's fundraising capital! We have so much to offer with our informative educational sessions, interactive roundtables, job postings, the inspiring annual National Capital Philanthropy Day...and the list goes on.
What keeps us ahead is new talent and fresh ideas. Help us remain on the cutting edge of the fundraising profession by lending your expertise and working with your equally committed colleagues in the spirit of fellowship and fun.
The opportunities below are excellent ways to share your knowledge and expertise and enhance your professional portfolio. See something that interests you? Complete and submit the online volunteer form and we will connect you. Have a question about something? Send us an email at email@example.com.
Committee Leadership Positions
The Finance Committee is seeking volunteers to serve on the committee to
- Participate in monthly meetings, mostly via conference calls
- Make recommendations on policies and activities that will ensure AFP DC long-range financial stability, including overview of Chapter audits and 990 tax filing
- Assist with monitoring financial and investment performance
- Assist in the development of the Chapter's annual budget
The 2018 Bridge Conference Onsite Volunteer Committee is seeking volunteers to serve as Co-Chairs for various sub-committees the following roles:
- Onsite Volunteer Committee - Room Monitor Recruiter Co-Chair Volunteer
- Onsite Volunteer Committee - Greeter Recruiter Co-Chair Volunteer
- Onsite Volunteer Committee - Volunteer Booth/Concierge Recruiter Co-Chair Volunteer
The Membership Committee seeks volunteers to serve on the membership cultivation sub-committee to:
- Make monthly phone calls and sending personalized emails to not-yet-engaged and lapsed members
- Assist with prospecting and outreach, including for large members organizations (8+ members)
- Onboard new members by serving as a “buddy”; make introduction and meet face-to-face; personally invite to events
The Membership Committee seeks volunteers to serve on the membership benefits sub-committee to:
- Help plan and facilitate AFP DC happy hours, Sunset Social, Annual Meeting and Holiday Party
- Provide leadership, assistance, and serve as a liaison to affinity groups
- Serve as a mentor or volunteer with the Mentoring committee
- Administer chapter scholarships and other initiatives and benefits TBD (first-year discounts, awards, etc.)
The Mentoring Committee is seeking volunteers to serve as a member of the committee to help recruit mentors, establish matches, and support other committee activities.
The 2019 Bridge Conference Leadership is seeking volunteers to serve on the various committees that will produce the 2019 conference. Committees include education, marketing, volunteers, sponsors, and expo hall.
In-Person Program Onsite Volunteers
The Marketing and Communications Committee is seeking volunteers to live Tweet at one or more upcoming chapter educational programs. Volunteers accepted on a rolling basis in advance of each session.
The 2018 Bridge Conference Onsite Volunteer Committee is seeking volunteers to serve the following roles:
- Greeters (Greeters provide a welcoming, smiling face that attendees can turn to with their conference questions. For an hour, you will stand with a clip board and balloons to it greeting people as they walk in, answer general conference questions and provide directions.)
- Keynote Speaker Session Volunteer (Volunteers are needed to pass out and collect session evaluations sheets.)
- Volunteer Booth/Concierge Volunteer (ready and able to answer questions anyone (including other volunteers!) may have. Think FAQ handouts, Wi-Fi password cards, Top 10 things to do in National Harbor, where is the closest place to get coffee? where can I plug in my laptop? do you have scissors? etc. This role is best for experienced Bridge-goers who have been to the conference several times and who are very familiar with the nuances of Bridge and the layout of The Gaylord.)
- Room Monitor Volunteer (Room Monitors stay in one track all day (for one day only) and ensure session evaluation sheets are passed out/collected and all AV equipment is working, etc.)
The Marketing and Communications Committee seeks authors for its monthly member e-newsletter. Articles should address any topic relating to fundraising and donor development, and be approximately 300-500 words. Article proposal submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
The Young Professionals Affinity Group is seeking volunteers to collaborate with the Marketing and Communications Committee to prepare articles or short social media posts to engage young professionals in the AFP DC Chapter activities.
Affinity Group Leadership Positions
The Young Professionals Affinity Group is seeking volunteers to join the planning committee to help plan future events intended to engage young professionals in the AFP DC Chapter.
The Mentoring Committee is seeking volunteers to serve as mentors to AFP-DC Chapter members for a term of one-year. Mentorship typically involves monthly contacts, although the details of the interaction are determined by the mentor and mentee. Applications can be submitted regularly here.
If your governing group has a volunteer opening that you would like to share with the membership next month, complete and submit an online Request Form.